Thursday, August 6, 2020

Another Witch Hunt


In the mid nineties my father was embroiled in the latest town scandal in which he received hundreds of letters because he allowed the Christian rock band "Petra" to play in the local college church in BLUE JEANS. He had threats to his job and hell fire . I did not know it at the time, but apparently I was scrutinized and attacked in some letters too...  For how I dressed in school or whom I associated with and how I conducted myself. My father loved Petra. He played it all the time when I was a child in the 80's. They were cutting edge in the Christian community at the time. Their long hair, ripped blue jeans and 'rock' music rocked the boat in multiple ways.

Since I have been little, I have witnessed many hunts on people due to many things. Growing up in a Christian community there were those who focused on grace and a smaller number who focused on hunting down sin and looking anywhere but themselves. Hypocrisy ran alongside compassion. I had to learn from an early age where to put my value, what words or people I should put stock into, and what hypocrisy looked like. Was it truly the devil in sheeps clothing on those accused as wolves? The outcasts or different or such? Or were the wolves the ones spreading the rumours, taking gossip or here-say and trying to make it truth, and destroying people's lives in the name of "God or goodness"?

My dad loved to blast this song called, "Witch Hunt" that still gets stuck in my head. Petra mostly put it on an album in response to all the Televangelists (at the time) talking about how 'Rock and Roll' had hidden messages of "devil worship." In the 80's there was a huge focus on Satanism and calling out anything that could be remotely aligned with what people thought was "bad." Many innocent people were thrown under the bandwagon in the name of "justice." Lives were ruined or degraded in the name of Jesus. Those who did such things thought they were on the right side of ethics...many of them probably still have such self righteous thoughts. Those who had zero doubts of their morality were the worst. Those who did not look at the log in their own eyes before pulling out the speck in others, perpetuated the worst of the hunts.

"Everybody look there's a new bandwagon in town 
Hop on board and let the wind carry you around 
Seems like there's not enough to keep us busy 'till the Lord comes back."

There will always be another bandwagon to climb on to. Many are worthy in a sense, but anything can be taken to extremes. I got in a lot of trouble as a teenager with some of my friends for standing against aspects of "Christianity." I also got in trouble for speaking for grace or not talking about certain people. I often felt I couldn't win and spent hours alone in my room, detoxing with candles and music. But I am grateful for these experiences. While I would doubt myself often, that healthy questioning led to a solid sense of whom I was and what I stood for. I also learned that I wanted to be open minded when it came to anything... good or bad, before I took any side. I realized the people who hurt my family most, were people who did things in the name of "goodness" and "God." The friend who committed suicide was jaded and gave in to lies of what worth was. Of what made a worthy existence. I realized I never wanted to be so "right" that I was so wrong. I also didn't want to give in to any opinion that was the opposite of LIFE. By life, I mean, anything that is true, beautiful, noble, kind, merciful yet boundary filled and full of love. 

"Don Quixote's gotta have another windmill to attack
Another witch hunt looking for evil wherever we can find it 
Off on a tangent, hope the Lord won't mind it."

Mass hysteria and community panic led to the Witch Hunts of the 1400s- 1700s. Are we repeating them in our own modern way? The stories are absolutely horrifying. Women were targeted but men also received some of the torture and death. Those who were different...midwives, herbalists, the disabled, unmarried, poor...were often the accused. It was unjust. It was repulsive and yet many "upstanding", "morally inclined" "good citizens" in varied communities were the perpetuators of injustice in the name of justice. They were upheld as pillars of society "cleansing" the world of those who are "wrong." 

There WAS a minority of people who WERE evil. Who practiced disgusting rituals and did indeed need justice. But it was such a small minority compared to the evils that were done to the people who were accused unjustly. Most of the fear was unfounded and fed by fantasy gossip. But fear is one of the toughest forces in the world to fight. Many terrible things are done from responses of fear in the name of all that is "just/ right."

Persecution mentality reigned and combined with mass hysteria, death from plagues and wars, and a general state of malevolence in the majority was disguised as righteousness. How did this mass delusion happen? How did the insanity of torturing a woman until she either confessed or died show that she was indeed of the devil? How did this become accepted as standard procedure with citizens either supporting by ignoring it or cheering it on? (If she died during torture she was deemed innocent but if she survived she was burnt at the stake or worse. Either way being accused was basically a death sentence.) 

"Another witch hunt, takin' a break from all our gospel labor 
On a crusade but we forgot our saber."

In Christianity there is a concept of "gospel labour" which is missionary work etc. Much of what Christians have done in the world is good. Many started the anti slavery movements globally, fought for the minority rights in places that were not even their own, and spread messages of love and tolerance. 

Unfortunately, many also joined empty crusades in the "name of goodness." Instead of focusing on the goodness they could plant, they focused on the bad they could correct, take away or sanction/ censor/ educate out of/ cancel in others. The irony of their actions was not understood. The hypocrisy was a label put on anyone but themselves. Is this the type of person I want to be? Is it whom you want to be, no matter what belief system you are a part of?

"There's a new way to spend all our energies 
We're up in arms instead of down on our knees 
Walkin' over dollars trying to find another dime 
Never mind the souls 'cause we really haven't got the time."

In my twenties, my time was spent healing from aspects of my upbringing. In many ways, I had a lot to be grateful for and part of the process was recognizing the ever present "AND/ BOTH." Unfortunately, wounds and trauma can take a lifetime to process but when we allow them to be our main story, the damage is more pronounced. There is a fine line where we learn to BE all that we are, but also fight against the wounds and accept what there is to accept and move forward. Those who are unable to have the support to do so or the ability or choose to be stuck, suffer more wounds and give more wounds to the world. Look to nature. The wounded animal can be the most dangerous. It’s imperative to safely transport it to a place of healing before it wounds itself and others more in its confusion.There were injustices done to myself and my family of loved ones in life. They demanded attention. But now I am thankful for the lessons they created. I can't change what was done, but I can take some good from it. That is my empowerment. That is where I choose to spend my energy. I hope we see SOULS and give the seeing of souls grace filled time.

It is only in my thirties that I have discovered a similar hypocrisy in the non religious environments/people I am part of. That was honestly a shock to me. From about age 25- 35 the non religious friends and environments healed me. In a way, it was so refreshing that no wrong could truly be done in my mind. I found so much excitement, acceptance, and healing from my new communities. It was akin to being newly in love and the first blush of exhilaration, strength, and entwined vulnerability. There is little time for the mundane or daily living. All things fall away in the face of new love. Becoming out of balance, if prolonged, is a large danger.

But as in any long standing marriage can attest to, as we age into things, time unravels the initial endorphins. While that is also real and a needed stage, the next phase in marriage takes it deeper. It is natural to mellow into the relationship. A new joy of comfortability emerges. But we also see the flaws we were blinded to before and have to learn to re balance. A successful partnership learns to work with the differences and similarities. 

In the last three years, I have faced a steep learning curve in the non christian community. A place that I found healing in has now caused large disruptions. I am seeing a similar hypocrisy. I am seeing patterns that mimic the community I grew up in. And I am realizing there truly is nothing new under the sun. I am realizing humanity takes on similar aspects of belief, no matter what the position, and there are the same types of zeal played out on a different stage. It's a constant battle for me to face my own zealous nature, mistakes made, and give myself both grace and boundaries before I implement them on others. Therapy helps with this and thankfully my children and husband and copious amounts of alone time, off line. But it's hard.

What do we spend our energy on? Do we spend it more on advocating for change without activating in our lives? By activating I do not mean participating in violent marches or dissolving other people's reputations, however strong the evidence is.  By activating in life, I mean BEING off our screens and accepting people around us. Looking for the poor, downtrodden, depressed or isolated in our communities and giving in some way...our time if we can, or some of our garden extra's, or even a kind word or spreading kind thoughts. Are we spending our energy sending out goodness instead of accusations?

"So send out the dogs and tally ho 
Before we sleep 
tonight we've got miles to go 
No one is safe, no stone's left unturned 
And we won't stop until somebody gets burned."

Read that last lyric again. Does it sound familiar in this time in history? Often we think we are the hunted but what if we, by a strange twist of perspective, we are the hunters? What if by thinking we are the prey we become the predators? 

Do we stop to sleep and rest which enables our perspective taking? Do we harm safety in the name of safety? Are we protecting things that have multiple layers to them? Are we forgetting that the true evil of people often hides? Devious, manipulative, cruel, dismissive, discriminatory, hateful organizations/people often pull the strings of larger components from the dark corners. Sometimes, it is not until centuries later that we are shocked to find truth under the rubble of “good intentions.” 

While it is good to strive for justice, love mercy, and engage in compassionate acceptance, often on "hunts" people are so concerned about condemning others for trivial matters that they forget the larger wrongs. The wrongs that are devious and gleefully taking pleasure in the fact that many are falling for the wrong reasons. Instead of being active and becoming what is believed to be right, it's easier to throw shade around and cancel another person.

Personally I don’t want to spend my energy looking for evil wherever I can find it. When it happens to me or my loved ones that is more than enough. Life brings disaster, injustice, grief and anxiety naturally to our door or it breaks it in. We rise and fight when it’s required. But other times it is not there. It’s what we choose to open our door for that says what we are about. I want to choose to look for goodness and shut the door on the evil I can, but definitely not seek it out in the name of all that is holy. I did that once as a teen and it was a disaster. Hopefully that lesson stays.Why are we requiring contrite apologies for people whose only mistake was living and surviving in the times they were put in? Where celebrities won roles and took the job honoured to be playing a part like Nina Simone but now have to confess to their “sins”? Fans banning the brilliance of J.K Rowling (Harry Potter) books due to personal statements? How have we come to this? How is this making the world better and more tolerable?

There ARE things we must fight for. But often they are right in front of our face. They are the moments when we bravely speak into a true moment of friendship. When we choose kindness over exploding or allowing our emotions to reign. It’s when we consider differences and invite them to our table in understanding instead of correcting. It’s that moment when we have enough change to give to the homeless even if we think it may not be used appropriately. It’s also that moment when we don’t give to the homeless because we only have enough grocery money for our children. So instead we send out good vibes and prayers and make our grocery money count. It’s when we see someone being mocked by our own friends or family - and even if we see merit in some of the things they say- we decide to leave the conversation, kindly change the subject or address it (but gracefully.) Its those moments when we can kindly diffuse a situation, by showing that it may not be ignorance, or intolerance, or brutality, but simply another difference. It may have been another time of history when the words we outlaw now, WERE a form of advocacy. Yes, we need to evolve, grow and change in our language usage too, but showing that it’s not all malicious intent speaks to fear. The less fearthe less disruptive violence happens.

The more we can calm fear instead of escalate it, the less witch hunts will happen in the name of “justice.” In fighting against monsters are we creating larger, more nefarious monsters? Are we actually hiding the true monsters on our smaller witch hunts of dissection and cancellation?

                                                         

You can read more about this - The subject matter can get intense. I chose links that were less graphic than some I have read (in which I had to try not to throw up the details.) The post can apply to so many aspects and nuances of culture right now that touches all forms of life. https://www.britannica.com/event/Salem-witch-trials

To those who personally love me- if I ever do this to you or others ( witch hunt) please gently remind me of larger issues of love and justice. I know I’ve been both the minority and majority . Both make mistakes and both make the world better. Help me spread love.

*Yes, if you notice, I do have a lot of good witchy imagery. It started with Galinda in Wizard of Oz when I was young and then in adulthood - my love of the Broadway play "Wicked" in which I could relate to Elphaba during my Autism diagnosis and it spiralled from there... Also, witches do not believe in the devil or satan so getting Witches/Wicca mixed up with Satanism is vastly missing the mark. They are two different belief systems/ lifestyles.*


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey K! Very well written! Thanks for sharing! Love you - Auntie C

Anonymous said...

Crazy about the Petra thing. I loved it!
I was always so bewildered why old people
Would shut down our music or movies. Made me annoyed.

I think To sum it up you experienced let down
From both Christians and non Christians?
Which I guess shows we are all sinful and
We all struggle.
Everyone messes up and some more than others I guess.
Maybe you were more sensitive to it as a teen
And I was more oblivious. Maybe it’s just our natures.
It’s good you see it everywhere tho because
As a Christian I do hope that one thing others know
Is that the only thing different about me is that
I’ve asked Jesus to cover up my sin
And forgive me etc.
Love you and am thankful for you.
I’m amazed how much you learn and study and think.
It’s a gift. I am so boring in comparison:)- C

Kmarie said...

Auntie C!

Thanks I’m still shaky from publishing it - there will be backlash but thank you . Your support helped
Love you too and when heat calms down you should come visit in our yard in an evening when sun is less!
Xo


C;
Yes. Ha ha it wasn’t just older people tho yes, it happened more in those time’s from the older generation who have already mostly passed on. Sometimes I think they clung so tightly to those purity standards out of fear and all the autrocities witnessed. It’s not an excuse but maybe a reason? Ha I got in so much trouble for so many things but I also was praised for so many - it was dependent on perspective lol.

Yea I think to sum it up I’m saying everyone is fallible - no matter beliefs. And some call true truth or true love or true justice Jesus while others have different names for it - but that love or belief in the greater morality of ethics, kindness love ect do matter. No matter what the name may be FOR them. Hopefully that makes sense?

I love that you found Jesus to be that concept and I understand what you’re saying. I may live it differently but in the subtleties I almost think we’d be in agreement in the heart - hard to explain .

Love you and I am thankful for you too. You’ve taught me many things and stuck by me when I was awkward or needed space and could be hurtful. That did not go unnoticed and your love is truly a gift.


Ha ha maybe learning and thinking could also be thought of as a curse? Ha maybe it’s a curse gift??? But I appreciate your compliments and it makes my crazy thoughts easier to bear. Sometimes I just need to write it all out lol .

You are not boring - you teach me a lot about innocence and the beauty of simplicity in living - which is actually quite complex and nuanced. You also teach me how to embrace lighter joy. I love that about you
Xo

Anonymous said...

Aww ❤️

Ashe Skyler said...

My first encounter with the non-Christian community involved very aggressive and hateful atheists that were just as nasty as the "devout" Christians I knew. I quickly decided that a zealot of any flavour was a dangerous individual filled with nothing but cruel intentions, and over time I've learned how to sift through the rabble and find the more normal and neutral people, and examine the line between passion and fanaticism. Heh, and having met some followers of team sports can have some particularly, ah, "vocal and active" behaviour, I've had plenty of variety to choose from to come to that conclusion.

I've personally never seen you cross the line from passion to zeal, so I think you're good on that front, including this post. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this account of your honest struggle with the tendency in all of us to fall into hurtful, destructive judgments and blaming others. You are refreshingly transparent (as usual) and don't let ANY. of us off the hook!

Keep it up..

MR

Kmarie said...

Ashe; yes. Definitely yes. Especially to the sports as well. ♥️
Lol even in my Instagram stories ( not posts) I come across as not too passionate?!;) that’s good to know!;) In all seriousness I’m glad you’ve never seen me cross that line and I strive to not . I truly appreciate that :) thank you!;)

MR; I thought of that after ... that I probably don’t let anyone off the hook which is why people get annoyed and call me both sidism in many regards cuz it goes both ways but also it goes that way in grace too ... and I don’t let myself off the hook either ;) lol I’m glad I’m transparent tho!:)

Full Spectrum Mama said...

How did I never see this???

Brilliant and brave.

Thanks and love,
A Wiccan pal

Kmarie said...

Hey Wicca pal 🧡
Thank you 😊 For awhile there something was messed with my notifications… maybe that’s why ?;)