Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Receiving My Canadian Certification of Indian Status; A Heritage and Ancestry Celebration



I wasn’t going to share this, due to misconceptions, judgements and opinions. But there is something to the poetry of BEING that is meant to be shared, despite all of that harsher reality. It’s worth it. Now, l
et's get the boring political jargon and myths out of the way before my celebratory post:

(My husbands gift to me for this celebration) 

 **Note on terms: "Indian Status" is what the Government of Canada terms my card due to the treaty. Currently, I know that "Indigenous" is a preferred term. Some of my relatives are all about the terms, while others could not care less. My Grandpa is one of the latter. From an early age he taught me that it is not the words themselves but the way they are stated in, or the love, respect or dignity (or lack thereof) within context given. He has been slurred with the word "Indian" and he has been honoured by the word "Indian." He taught me, when I was a wee one in the early eighties, to be proud of the term. "First Nations" became larger a term as I grew up, followed by "Native," followed by "Aboriginal," and now "Indigenous." I have written about vocabulary on terms based on my Autism diagnosis Click HERE. I feel the same mentality applies. This blog is my home and I am comfortable using the terms interchangeably based on my personal history. I believe each of them has been used for harm but also for good, depending on the person behind the words. I am personally honoured to have each term applied to myself. If you carry wounds from these words, please translate them to words that cause less pain for yourself, but know that I am saying them from a place of empowerment, honouring, and personal heritage. ** 



**Note on the myths of benefits: I do not live on a reserve, neither do most of my relatives that carry status cards. The government does count my status to give to the band I am registered with, to determine the benefits for that reserve, however where I live, there are not many benefits (if any). No, we do not just get free university. No, we do not all have tax free lives (it does not affect me at all.) The one benefit I have besides border crossing more easily (which I do not really need) is some prescriptions covered (which I have not used in years.) Here is an article on this before any assumptions are made on what I do or do not deserve: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indian-status-5-more-things-you-need-to-know-1.3109451 So, if I do not receive benefits, why is it important to me? Why did I apply? Well, that is answered in my post below. 



***

What does it mean to embrace a heritage, if one is the true definition of a Canadian: A mosiac of varied histories, legacies and nations? As I wrote in THIS (click) post about being Canadian: "I belong to this land. I have cherished its freedom. I am proud that my ancestor from Spain drove cattle from Mexico into the heart of Caribou County. I have often wondered, when I was in the heart of the mountains, if my Indigenous ancestors from the Secwepemc/ Shuswap nation traversed similar paths. I am thankful that my German, Danish, English and Romanian ancestors on the other side of my family tree, found their freedom when they were being persecuted in their home countries. They dug roots so that my down home could run deep. They celebrated that their country allowed for the freedoms of worship, community, health rights, and autonomy. They built up generations for the place I now call home. " (For more on the personal Indigenous/ Spanish history of my Grandpa T. Click HERE


If I could, I would love to live on the land of each of my ancestral blood ties. I love learning about each of the histories and tracing back as far as I can, into the shared hardships and joys of the different ancestors in my genetic line. It is a crucial part of BEING. Just like my Autism diagnosis was a crucial part of discovering myself, or my MBTI of INFJ. Having my Status card is another piece to the glorious BEING of ME, shaped by generations before. However, just like INFJ or Autistic, these terms do not explain the WHOLE of myself. Genetics ARE important for many aspects of living in health and family, but they are not the END STATEMENT. Family is not only blood, but those who CHOOSE to love. Health is not just genetics but also choices. Complexity is in BEING. There are so many facets. That stated, each layer of self discovery, and honouring roots, adds beauty to life.

***

This year has been so full of change, grief, and joy that I almost forgot I had applied. I had given it a brief thought a few weeks ago, wishing that I had my status when I was filling out a form, just so I could honour my Grandfather's roots and state,"Yes, that is in my history." But I couldn't and I promptly was swept away with daily life details. Until yesterday, when my husband walked into my bedroom humming a Native trill that my Grandpa used to sing while he patted my back as a baby, and waving a letter. His face shone with excitement and immediately I KNEW. My sense of home shifted once again. I did not think I could feel more at home, but a settled rootedness grew in an instant of confirmation, before I could even rip open the letter...



***

Blood ties appeal to my mystical soul (herbalist/ folklorist/ and nature based, which I call fondly 'witchy' due to my love of all things Harry Potter and Broadway's Wicked.) I am the one who loves nature and feels deep ties to the land. My spirituality has always been connected to nature. God is in every speck. I knew God before I could speak. I FELT Divinity playing in my Grandmother's yard and watching the flowers sway. Before my Christian upbringing combined with my Mystical upbringing gave me words, I had an inner KNOWING. It was easy for me to accept a God I could not see, because I saw and adored the Creation. Talking with others on the topic, I have found my way of seeing the world was not as common as I thought. There were outdoorsy people (which I am NOT) and then there were lovers of nature like me...(See THIS post for more on my love of nature.) I spent much of my childhood on the lands near my band's reserve. My Grandpa would take me on hikes in the forrest to pick Saskatoon berries and blueberries (still some of my favourites!) As I wrote HERE (click):Half of my life growing up I spent at each of my grandparents' houses for the summers in the Cariboo Mountains. Grandpa would take me into the forest and give me instructions on bear safety and the sounds of the forest- most of which I have unfortunately forgotten but some rules stuck. As we trudged up the path, me weary and him bursting with energy, he would stop and point out waterfalls and flowers.  The man who would kill to eat, stepped aside to not crush a flower. "Missy, a good person won't leave an imprint in the forest they travel, unless it's to mark their path." He would break twigs off to show me how to know where I have been while looking forward to where I should go. My favourite part was when we'd see the orange/ red peeking out from the grass. Indian Paintbrush. They symbolized Grandpa T. to me. I'd rush over and exclaim, "Grandpa, I found Indian Paintbrush!" He would crouch down and touch the pretty flower weed. "This is fire just like your ancestors. They understood that each living thing is a gift of creation. Each living thing possess the breath God breathed to create."  Occasionally he would allow me to pick one and take it home. Grandma would put it in a pretty vase and serve me cookies as I stared at the fiery passion of nature, grateful for my roots.

***

A few weeks before he died last October, my brother in law freely took my picture for my application for Status. I was awkward. He, of course, was smooth and charming, so he tried to make me feel at ease with his smile. He told me he read up on it and I was not supposed to smile. As I was walking out, he asked me to inform him if I received my status. I knew he was probably just being polite, but I made a mental note to inform him regardless. Unfortunately, I can not thank him personally once again and tell him I received it. However, I believe in the spiral dances of life. Part of my process oddly carried my husband's German ancestry. His relative was part of the process. That feels a bit more WHOLE.



***

My Auntie Donna died a few years ago. She had her Status and always wanted me to get mine. I had applied in my early twenties but the paternal/ maternal laws were different and I was denied. When the laws switched to honour maternal, with my extended family's encouragement and my brother's print offs, I re applied. Honestly, it's a lot of work, as anyone who deals with forms and red tape can attest to, and part of me did not feel like doing the work again only to be denied. 

***

PRESENCE. My aunt had a presence and part of her essence was driven by her deep love of our Native roots. She knew more about that aspect of our history, and was more attached to our relatives on the reserves. Pre internet, she was constantly researching the background of our original tribe. My Aunt has been on my mind more so than when she first passed away. This last year I have had moments of grief so strong, in random places, remembering her. Recently, we attended an event where a lady sang, "Love Can Build a Bridge." She sounded just like The Judds. I stopped her afterwards and with choked up tears I stated, "You sang beautifully. I felt like my Aunt was sitting beside me. She loved that song and the Judds whom you sounded like. She passed away recently, but I felt her tonight. Thank you." Part of why I applied again, was because of my Auntie Donna. The spiral has circled back and I am incorporating her legacy and Spirit into my own dance of life. I wish I could show her my card. She would have been so excited. I partially re applied because of her. (Click HERE for her tribute post.) My Grandmother, who also recently passed away, also wished this for me and I sent sparks of gratitude to heaven for her part in my story.



***

A few years ago, an Anthropologist/Archeologist was visiting our home to speak at one of our 'Called to Questions' (a monthly gathering where we invite professors from Universities/Tradespeople passionate about their topics etc. to present and enter into dialogue with invited guests.) We conversed on the topic of being Canadian, and what that means. I told her a bit of my history and how I was debating on re applying but felt guilty because I was not full blooded Indigenous. She surprised me with her passion, "It is actually your DUTY to try again. Even if you carry a speck that the government acknowledges, it is a priority to show them the many people of their country who carry these ancient bloodlines. These peoples who lived on this land are integral to our being... many of which helped us to survive here. I study various cultures and have headed up many digs. I especially loved being with the Natives of Nicaragua. From my standpoint, it is not only a duty, but an honour to be able to have ties to the land you walk upon and to state it and show proof of it to those who doubt. I strongly encourage you to re apply." 

***



A few months later, I was conversing with my adopted Aunt on my husband's side who is fully Indigenous, I asked her if it would bother her at all...since I clearly have many other bloodlines within me. We had a beautiful conversation but I can recall her saying something akin to, "It's a part of you. I can feel the connection we share of the love of nature. I recognize this in you. I would never hold it against you if you applied. I would celebrate it." And yesterday, when I texted her...she did.

***


Canadas National Indigenous Peoples Day is June 21. The mystic in me loves that this is also Summer Solstice/ Litha. (click.) Our family loves to mark the seasons. This year my spiritual worlds collide on this day. I love marking the moon and discovering new names for the moon from the T’exelcemc is even more special. 

***


These are some of the myriad of reasons I teared up when my Status card arrived. This is why I texted anyone I could think of to celebrate. Most did not bother to acknowledge the beauty in it, but the friends and family who did, KNEW. They KNEW my history, my bonds, my spirituality and their statements of congrats or acknowledgement, whispered understanding, community and connection into my soul. Spiralling into my heart's dance, their voices combined. They are a part of my status too. They are a part of my journey and rooted belonging. On and off, the entire day I felt like I was walking on clouds. I felt euphoric. I felt immense gratitude for belonging, peoples, land, earth and sky. The landscape of ABUNDANCE. I felt closer to God. I was reminded I am still BECOMING. There are more layers to my story, but this is one. This is important. This is me.

I felt belonging.




Post ADDITION : I actually do get one benefit- it turns out my dental is almost all covered-  even though I do not live on a reserve-  which is amazing as I have terrible teeth and no insurance so now that saves me my teeth and a ton of money!!! 

Song Choice: My husband loves this because it's his Viking roots mixed with Native American songs...lol he also played me "Indian Outlaw" which is probably considered culturally inappropriate today but it did remind me of the nineties when I loved the fact that our culture was mentioned in a country song! I loved the beat...so yes, I'm guilty of throwing my head back laughing and dancing along with it in celebration with my family! And of course, anyone who knows me, knows my love of the song "Colours of the Wind" which I have sung to my children for 19 years at bedtime. I loved Disney's Pocahontas as a child, and still do, despite it being called to cancellation by some. To me it represented aspects of my heritage, when many of those stories were lacking as main heroines at the time. I sang Colours of the Wind to my children every night that I tucked them in (followed by Part of Your World (Little Mermaid) and God Help the Outcasts ( Hunchback) to which I still choke up at every time! The lyrics to Colours of the Wind still apply to our times, "How can there be so much that you don't know? You don't know…" We don't know each path for each person. The riches of the earth are all around us. We are all connected to each other. The hoop of Life spirals amongst us. The wolf cry ignites my spirit. We all need to sing with all the voices of the mountains and paint with the colours of the wind...:



14 comments:

Mom said...

Beautiful post from my beautiful daughter. Of course you should celebrate. It doesn’t change anything about who you are because you already knew and embraced your heritage. However, it is an official recognition of your heritage and bloodline and that feels good. It validates it to the outside world at large and you can stand proud. The more of us who “claim” our heritage and stand tall, speaking out, showing the world that our people deserve respect, dignity and love, the more people will realize that the Indigenous people are worthy, that we deserve recognition from past wrongs but also also recognition in all we have to offer. Our culture, traditions and history have much to offer this world. You are connected to those who have gone before and also to those who will come after. I am so proud of you for claiming your heritage and for proclaiming it to all. Too often in the past our people have hung their heads, as if there was much to be ashamed of because they had been made to feel that way (mostly because of racism but also some because of poor personal choices and decisions that were influenced by racism. Anyways, I am so thankful that you are embracing it all and holding your head high. You are right, This is you. I love you my girl

Anonymous said...

I’m so so so so happy for you!!!! What a meaningful moment!- R.J.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on this! So significant!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

So interesting to read. I am sitting through an indigenous relations seminar right now for elections Alberta.
Indian status is used because it is linked to the Indian act (treaty). It’s been an interesting session.
I’m glad you got this. It has to do with your right to your heritage.

Laura

Kmarie said...

Thanks! Yes this is true...Grandpa made sure I always loved this part of myself and from an early age I was extremely proud to have that ancestors in me and fully embraced that and my spanish side! It has been fun learning about the Romanian from Grandma N though now too ( and German!) But yes, that heritage is important.

Yes it is important for all peoples of all groups to have respect, dignity and love. No matter where they are from, what they look like or their different brain wirings. I am a firm believer in the worth in us ALL. Each person is worthy simply because they EXIST. But we also must celebrate our individuality inside our collective! I do not believe, nor ever have, that there is anything to be ashamed of...in any race. That mentality baffles me. We are all made so uniquely and beautifully. I love to focus on the positive and I am so thankful for the many many people from different groups who got along and were not racist or had that unfortunate and sad mentality that treated people groups as lesser than themselves. I am so thankful for the many diverse friendships that CELEBRATED differences while engaging in community.

Thanks. This is me. This is also part of you. Thank you for honouring it. Love you too. xo

Kmarie said...

RJ: Thanks! I knew you would be! So meaningful!

Lisa: Don't you just love the significant milestones in life. While we may not be changed inside fully from them, they do spiral us into endings and beginnings again. They also remind us to pause and BECOME.

Laura: Thanks Laura! That means a lot since Jason was a small part of it.
Yes, I was recently at a Indigenous museum where the Indian act treaty was copied and was reading it to my children, and another Indigenous lady in charge of the museum came up to my and CORRECTED my terms that I was reading off of the treaty!! She wanted me to just self correct the terms. I know our culture is trying to be more honouring but sometimes it ends up being more hurtful or unkind in the name of politics. However, I am glad that some things are changing.
What are you doing for elections Canada?
That is interesting! Remind me next time we talk and I can hear more about the sessions!
Thank you

MR said...

Hi kmarie
I am happy for you and congratulations.
Identity IS important.
Blessings
MR

D.B. said...


Congratulations
I feel a weight that YOU felt like you needed to “explain” or try to dispel misunderstandings.
I’m sorry for that.

I GLF anymore what people say or do. But I guess that comes with age and enough hard knocks lol

You will NEVER in your lifetime ever be able to convince or explain what’s inside you to anyone. Or satisfy everyone’s thought of what you should do or say.

I stopped trying when it began to kill my soul! Now I (as a good stoic) let the words stand, offend, heal, encourage or whatever THEY believe I have said - I let that shit BE!

And those who truly love you/me will care more about the relationship with you than to ever being right or having an opinion that breaks the relationship.

Remember there’s more freedom in this 🥰

You are adored

Ashe Skyler said...

Congratulations! :)

Kmarie said...

MR:
Thank you. Yes Identity is important in it's multiple layers and diversity!

DB:Lol yup I get in trouble A LOT for what I say - too many alt. liberal relatives/ friends feeling like policing language is an act of love. Now I preemptively say it to save the trouble 😂 I love my liberals but the last few years it reminds me so much of what I escaped jumping out of alt conservatives- pot meet kettle...Ha thanks! I’m actually not liked by most however you are right - I’m adored by ALL THAT IS/ My husband and my kids and a few select and that’s more than enough 💕 just wish I remembered it more lol 😂

Anonymous said...

D.B. I know. Me too 🤪👍🏽🌺

Kmarie said...

Ashe!
Thanks! I clicked on your blog and caught up but could not comment- so I hope that you can find a job that suits you soon and yes the ridiculous gas prices...I especially get mad because we live in a place where we are huge producers of it but we are paying through the roof and the rest of our country takes it for granted - plus we live in a place where we have to drive everywhere- there is loads of space and no transit or uber or any alternatives and our weather and distance is not conducive to constantly biking! GRRRRRR Anyway, I will hope you find some alternative work soon and can continue to do all your black belt building and engagement sports!:)

Called to Question said...

What a truly beautiful moment when you received that recognition. I dearly love my Indian lady. That is a part of you, as are all parts of you, that deserves all the love and attention that can be given. You are the most holistic person I know. You value each and every part of your heritage, and that is an admirable trait. The nature you so value, values you back, as you too are nature. Feel right in embracing nature, including yourself, as she reflects the Great Spirit. In the Great Spirit there is no segregation but all are part of the one. May we all embrace our stories, our histories, our looks with honour and pride as we are all colours of the wind. We all have spirits, all have names, all have our place in this world. And this is a large part of your place. Welcome you to yourself. Run free in the fields of self-awareness. Hear the wolf cry of your humanity. Let the tree of life be your shelter. Be you...all of you. I love every part of you.

Love your Viking Husband.

Kmarie said...

Thanks babe....I appreciate that sentiment and feel the same about every other person- they deserve the love and attention of ALL THAT IS them. Awe, as you know I love holistic health and living so that is a HUGE compliment. I do value it and definitely nature is the Great Spirit and a resounding yes! Honour and the colours of the wind enable us to have our place in this world as human beings. Thanks for the encouragement. Ah ha Viking husband is right. Man, those roots are there for sure!:) How did we ever end up together? Yet soul mates we are.xoxoo