Saturday, September 3, 2022

Unredeemable?; The Reckoning: Ruthless Redemption, Repentance and Reconciliation.

Post Note: This post is NOT about TRAUMA of any sort. Nor is it inherently about grief, mental illness, depression or anxiety. While this could apply in certain ways, because just like an arm pain can indicate heart or gut issues, a singular suffering should not be boxed up into one category, I want to be clear that, for myself, this post is about the pain of facing oneself when parts of self need to grow. This IS about self reflection, self growth and a requirement of honest mirrors. This post is more focused on issues that are self growth related, and should not be mixed up with any diagnosis or need that may require legitimate pills, therapy, or clinical diagnosis. I am not a doctor. This is most assuredly a post on reckoning, redemption, ruthless mirrors, repentance and reconciliation....handily all the "R's" *


I stood in front of a nine foot mirror in a home of 12 foot ceilings. Even though my home is notorious for hosting at least 68 mirrors, most of them are placed to reflect light and not the full reflection of a person. So this was the first time I had to seriously face my physical self. I had been battling self esteem issues since January, most of which stemmed from extremely low iron and medical issues (which do set some of the foundation for this post and are worth mentioning but are NOT what this post is about.) When health is sputtering along, it is hard for the rest of a BEING to fully flourish, but I try to give it my best. However, I knew something wasn't right, but the revelations seemed to be slowly spitting out truths instead of revealing the whole. Until I stood in front of that mirror.

The mirror was only part of the revelation. I looked upon my full self and realized I didn't like what I saw. It wasn't just the chronic illness weight and inflammation or the ridiculous notion that I was completely hideous ( I know when I am being dramatic)...It was the fact that the girl looking back was almost unrecognizable and she was ME. In that moment I knew there would be a reckoning.

It was an overnight holiday that was perfect in every way. I had nothing to blame but myself, I was up until 5 am and woke to a leg cramp at 7. The night was beautifully full of stars overlooking a mountain view outside my 9 foot glassed door. A trusted friend was sleeping in the home a few doors down. My belly was full of good food. The king size bed was even more comfortable than my beloved bed...and yet I was tortured. Insomnia can be familiar to me, but this was profound reckoning. All the revelations hit me. Concealed was revealed. I saw my vices, my created pain ( not legitimate pain that needs support but pain I had created by sitting in habits I could change), and my cruelty towards self and others. I faced the mirror of self...

"I know this hurts real bad right now. I know you feel mad and sad right now. But the sky isn't falling- that's just the rain. It's safe to just call this...pain. Girl I've been there, Yea life isn't fair It's okay to not be all right, just go ahead and cry... It might sound insane but I promise one day you're gonna be thanking you're lucky stars for all this pain."- Ingrid Andreas lyrics - Pain.

I got through the rest of my holiday by sheer grit. My perfect holiday ruined only by my own BEING. I saw my incapabilities clearly, my selfishness, my inability to adjust the way I would like, and my self loathing foamed. I saw the issues I was looking for in my marriage, parenting, and self...the accounts I had been trying to settle since January were ending. The five hour trip home consisted of me bawling my eyes out through sniffled repentance. Specifically with my husband because he was my travelling partner, not only through the holiday and life, but literally. I saw my part in the equation I could not figure out. While he also took ownership, the important parts I had missed before, came to the surface with ruthless intensity. I had a lot to reconcile. 

I've often shied away from the word repentance due to my upbringing. It was misused for varied agendas. But sometimes it is the only word that can state the absolute sorrow at actions that have been done or love that has been missed. Being penitent, or showing remorse, for one's misdeeds, and confessing such to all that IS, oneself and those loved, brings about a different mirror. At first it's a ruthless light that shows all the cracks, crinkles, and bruises. Yet, interestingly enough, after the refining burning of light, there is astounding peace and grace. Repentance suddenly feels like a gift that opens up to true reconciliation. A healing. 

"Without the pain, how would you know? What things to change and what stays the same? And which parts of you still have to grow? It can be ruthless, yeah, I've been there too. But you're gonna get through this pain." - Ingrid Andreas lyrics - Pain.

I'm not where I want to be, yet in those moments of pain, and the days following, I saw not only whom I COULD be, but also bits of light inside that I did not know I had. It is going to take courage to grow. Growth is painful. It's humbling. And there are honestly parts of me that will not, in this lifetime, be mine to fully grasp. Because self improvement is limiting too. There is a point where Grace enters in. The broken tea cup mended with gold still required someone else to make it beautiful. Sometimes, it is the cracks that show us where we need the most Light.

There is a different sort of pain in facing oneself. It's different from trauma done upon you. It is different than mental illness needing support. It is different from being a victim or wallowing in self pity. It's the type of pain that comes in childbirth. It is for a purpose. It changes the inside and outside in a short span of time. It is ruthless yet can harness aspects of joy that will eventually grow into peace. What have I lost by wallowing? What have I lost by not facing the mirror sooner? What I have lost in the reckoning? Perhaps all the good lost is redeemed, but I will not fully see it with my mortal eyes? Perhaps I gained more than I lost in the end? Maybe I needed the time to fully face the mirror? 

I only know that ruthless redemption became a balm. For instance, when I reconciled the issues I clearly saw and owned my part in my marriage story (which is fairly a healthy marriage, but I still had to face criticism and derisions I had regularly foisted upon my husband), and when I genuinely cried true apologies with repentance and noted plans for behavioural change...my husband looked at me...and I saw a glimpse of that ruthless redemption. I saw the pain I caused clearly, which hurt even more, but mixed in that was a love that encompassed it all. Mirrored back through his eyes was grace. Reconciliation on the heels of pain. How much more could a Divine presence give?

I've always had a strong faith in all that IS. While I have not adhered, at points, to certain religious standards (and probably never fully will) or institutions...I believe in wrestling with God, instead of the man made ideas or institutions about ALL THAT IS. So of course, this stance encompasses all that I am. I am not a true evangelical (my roots) in that, I don't like to outright state things fully. I prefer to LIVE and let GOD.  I believe God is so much more than my ideas and that powerful presence does not really need me to fight  Divine battles. I also believe those that are different from me, or who do not believe in a Presence, have just as much to give and receive on this plain. I have many Atheist friends whom have turned me, for the better, into a person with more questions than answers. I believe ALL THAT IS GOOD comes from God. Which means, that a lot in life is BREATHED. I'm not one for major sin dialogues. However, there is legitimacy in redemption, repentance and reconciliation. A person can feel the difference when it happens on any level. 

With my children, I saw the need for the same process of asking for forgiveness for my harsh approach this year. When did I become hard? I saw the root, and while some of it CAN be explained or understood, there is another part of it that not only has to be owned, but given up, to become more than I am. I also need to ask for forgiveness because I DID harm them in my tones and eye rolls. A parent is supposed to be a well of guidance, giving, grace and loving support. While I will not be perfect, nor should they expect perfection, they should expect me to reconcile when I have wronged. As I expect the same from them. Without this dialogue I feel we are missing so much Light in the end.

It's true that when one walks through a refining process, there is more necessary pain, than joy. I have cried more in this week than I usually do in a year. And the hits keep coming. Unexpected shadows have creeped up to deal with. I've shattered some hearts including my own. My thoughts can get dark. Yet, acknowledging this is necessary for the Light to seep in. Changes are also becoming part of the process. Slowly behaviour is being refined. Grace covers the rest. "Good person, how do you do it? Do you just wake up with a smile on your face? Good person, what does it look like seeing the world as a happy place? I'm trying to turn the page, do you think I have what it takes? Cause I have cheated and lied, and made people cry, but I pray for the ones that I love every night. And I've shattered some hearts and my thoughts get dark, but I'd stop for a stranger who is falling apart. I'm still learning. Good, good person. Do you ever lose it when somebody steals that one last parking spot? Good person, Do you ever say no? Does the high road get lonely? Do you ever pull off?...Have you cheated and lied or made people cry? The right hand of God, tell me what is it like to throw all the stones? But all mirrors and smoke, they come to my show, but you won't let me go behind the curtain. Good, Good person... Tell me how, tell me how to be a good, good person...I'm trying to turn the page..." - Ingrid Andress - Good Person lyrics.

                                                                 


Song choices: 


Un redeemable from Spirited: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQN3gvu9oZ

Pain- Ingrid Andress


Good Person- Ingrid Andress


19 comments:

Amy said...

Ahhhh my friend - those are hard moments of clarity but so good to see finally and change if they are holding us back from living our fullest life. ❤️

Anonymous said...

Love this. D

Anonymous said...

Thanks… helpful reflections for all of us.. looking honestly at ourselves is a humbling and progressive experience. That's the nature of a healthy journey.. May you experience much joy as well as healing repentance as you press on..

with much respect
MR

Anonymous said...

Thanx for sending! I wonder if its something that goes alongside a new stage in life with older children, a more seasoned marriage, less physical, emotional and mental output towards others and the focus to put elsewhere within:)I am actually thinking some of this seems a little familiar…
I am sorry to hear and also happy you have been going through this. As it seems like there have been amazing revelations too;)
I would love to hear about your thoughts and feelings sometime about this all;) - S
😘

Kmarie said...

Amy;
Awe thank you. So true. It’s funny how the fullest life is not the easiest…

D:
♥️

P.s. Did you also love the Rings of power? So far I loved the sets and writing - it is far superior in tone, writing, dialogue, sets and costumes to anything Disney has put out - I think that is also because so far it is a story for a story sake - one which shows beauty and hardship …

Kmarie said...

MR:
Thank you for the respect - it is a humbling and progressive experience- one in which I learned a lot of too In those years of therapy :)
I really like how you state it’s a part of a healthy journey as I never really considered that truth.
May you experience wonder and joy this week.

Kmarie said...

S:
I definitely do believe it’s easier to spot the need for the R’s when there is less busyness and more contemplation… it’s definitely easier to find the time to face it for sure even though I know this has been and always will be a need in this life - to face. But yea, I’m so grateful that this stage in life is less chaotic and enables more time.
Yes it’s definitely a BOTH/ AND situation of happy and hard in essence.
Sure! It’s tougher for me to fully express it in person but I can give it a shot ! I would love to get together this autumn and talk about all the R’s plus connect 💕
Oh also have you seen the Rings of Power on Amazon prime ? It is beautifully done ! So gorgeous this far !
Love
K

Lisa said...

Thanks for your vulnerability and powerful words. It is hard but good to grow in these ways.
When looking in the mirror i think we need honesty but ALSO grace! When we can extend this grace to ourselves, then we can extend it to others.

Kmarie said...

Lisa
💕
Yes grace is so important… I feel in moments of reconciliation grace is often something I’m given and not what I can fully create at those moments of broken joy … it cradles me until I can accept it into every facet of my being - and then I hopefully can strive, with Spirit, to extend it to others.
You are so right… it’s hard but good to grow in these ways.

Thank you

Anonymous said...

We're LOVING Rings so far! Incredible writing, extension of imagination but not at the cost of Tolkien's work, long game suspense, modest beauty, threads of Truth ♡- D

Andi said...

Great post. I love how vulnerable you let yourself get when you write.
Letting people know that there's strength in seeing one's weaknesses and shortcomings!

We sure miss you. Keep reaching up for God's light. He's affirming, and gentle, and far kinder to us than we are to each other.

How amazing is that. Makes it easier to forgive other people's condemnation or meanness because the One whose opinions and blessings matter most deals gently with me. He's a good Father.

I hope you're enjoying the beautiful days of fall! 🥰

Kmarie said...

Thanks Andi

We miss you a lot too! This was a lovely response. When I write I can express things I otherwise can’t in person generally as my thoughts are sharper alone with the page and Spirit. I appreciate your kindness. And pointing out the kindness of God and the unfailing Light of grace. I also love how you mentioned gentle … that is true even within a ruthless reckoning … it’s an odd seemingly paradoxical truth … cradled yet chosen to rise into growth too.

Smoke just came in to our fall from the Rockies. I thought we were going to get through summer without it. I truly think in the spring and fall they should do controlled burns ( as forests actually need to burn to regrow - kind of like our spirits!) to reduce damaging fires … other than that I did decorate for autumn already and am loving those vibes.

Ashe Skyler said...

Raw cookie dough may be fine, but unless it's a chocolate lava cake, it needs to stay in the oven until it's ready to come out. Perhaps you're not late to understand all those personal things, and instead you're now strong enough now to confront them. All things happen for a reason and at the time they're supposed to. Forgive yourself, have faith, keep marching on, and keep learning and trying. :)

Kmarie said...

Ashe;
Hey lovely. How’s the south?
I definitely feel raw. Ha. But I love your analogy …and it makes me want cookies … but alas I’m on AIP again so nope:) but seriously, your analogy is wise, kind and encouraging. I hope your right 🥰💗 I will endeavour to follow your last sentence…

Ps did you watch the rings of power on Amazon ? So far as my husband states “ if they are wise they will continue to make the series timeless instead of for them times…” ( re: so far a story instead of agenda - which is refreshing and so soothing thus far for the soul!)

AsheSkyler said...

Wonderful!! The autumn weather is here with cooler temperatures, lower humidity, soft grey skies or brilliant clear skies, and THE SMELL from all the rain recently. I've turned off the AC and just been leaving the windows open. <3

I hadn't heard of it, but I'll check it out when I have free time. The synopsis looks interesting at any rate!

Kmarie said...

Ooo that sounds lovely!!! I love it when the air is turned off and the seasons are FELT. Glorious! And petrichor is the best. It sounds like your spirits have been boosted which is so good after the harsher season you emerged from. Feel free to email me anytime.

If you liked the original Lord of the Rings you may enjoy this or it can be a stand alone - I love all things beautiful and with a storyline that inspires, challenges or encourages and gives beauty …

Kmarie said...

Erm…. Episode 3 took way more of a violent turn for my brain so now I’m Unsure of how I feel about rings of power …

Kmarie said...

So yea the original lord of the rings is far superior… it is more articulate, the characters are multi faceted and the story pacing is incredible in comparison to Rings of Power … however I still think the backgrounds and costumes are beautiful tho 💕

Kmarie said...

I’ve changed my mind of Rings of Power- the violence became too graphic at some points and many of the characters ended up lacking character this far…. Lord of the Rings it is not …