Wednesday, February 1, 2017

How? A Dreamer Wondering About How to Activate Change During Historic and Tumultuous Times




During tumultuous times, there are so many "answers," strong opinions and voices swirling around for causes that are both worthy and also causing more harm. "How can we go forward when we don't know which way we are facing?"- John Lennon. The most caution should be considered when we come to a conclusion with absolute, convicted certainty. It is then that we need to question ourselves. 

How do we go forward? 


One of my favourite philosophers wrote the quote above, "He who fights monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche. Unfortunately, many people do not read his writings because some of his famous statements are constantly quoted out of context. But he still has many great teachings to impart... as with all things...with a contrasting challenge. While taking women's feminist studies and sociology a few years back I read many accounts of injustice, history and the fights for freedom. In order to think clearly we must always give consideration to the "other" or our enemies. We must implement change and boundaries effectively but always with a dose of compassionate perspective.

When we use any belief, politic or stance to divide us with the ones we truly love, in our present or gift of living, we miss out on deep love. That said, it's also crucial to implement boundaries for those that misuse. Perhaps, it starts in smaller ways like extended friends or family? We can love them from afar and wish no ill intent but still decide to keep them at arms length. What is important is concentrating on our own circumstances first. Our own families, and countries for that matter- and then the global scale. I am not a liberal but anyone who knows me would also not describe me as conservative. I strangely see merits in both and on some issues go to one side more than the other, but try to balance these out. What I have learned is it takes all types to be in the world and make it a better place- WITH intentionality.

We can and should have freedom to speak but we should also try to consider context and the smaller scale first. Both are legitimate. Both come from a place of love. Boundaries are crucial to love. Activists, philosophers, lyricists and writers, found through living that there are sacrifices to our choices. Some sacrificed family life for a cause while others sacrificed a vocal larger cause for family. Both changed the world in different ways. In everything knowing context and the general audience makes the biggest difference. In misunderstanding, it is crucial to try to find the middle ground while sticking to the authentic self. There are big monsters in our world, but let's concentrate on the inner ones first, our communities and families next, our own countries before we look out into the injustices of the world, but after we have taken care of our own, go towards the fight to freedom globally. If we do not love self we can not know how to love others. If we do not treat our own places with respect, we can not respect other places. I know women's rights and ableism need to have voices and I have been that voice, and will again, but I have also realized sometimes the most effective stance is living the daily with intention.

Hospitality happens by listening as much as speaking, taking pleasure in the sun and evoking love to children when patience is strained. Tolerance involves allowing kids to manifest gender differences around us. In everything it begins with acceptance first and fighting (appropriately) next. As an example, I have yet to see acceptance of those who are autistic as legit voices over the "professionals." Since I am Autistic and I can write, it is important for me to give those personal perspectives at times and respect the story. Until we listen to the stories and respect them we can't take up arms. The stories we find ourselves in are sacred. I hope that in the daily we each find those capsules of love and beauty within these times, like all other historic times, and seek out the story and context.


I am unsure of some of my stances. With the stances I hold strongly, I wish to hold them in an open hand of compassion, because I do not want to get fundamentalist and have my opinions only divide. On the flip side, as a human, I need to hold on to some convictions and take a stand in some. That is what my blog is for but I hope that in other areas I give consideration. The world is so tough and sometimes I have just had enough. This is that time. So many voices but not enough activated, daily love. 

I don't know what to give, so instead I am going to try to live the best life I can, every day, within my circles. I will cherish the freedom of my children. The kisses, cuddles, nourishing food, and beauty in nature. I hope to relish the positive and try to put more of that good energy out into the world at large.



Sometimes the greatest prophets, lyricists and artists have the most contradictory personal lives. We can not judge what will make the difference. Two of my favourite profound artists are John Lennon and Ozzy Osbourne because they either wrote great songs or chose songs written by thoughtful lyricists. Some songs pushed buttons, others made peace, and it was generally a mixed bag of contradictions and complexities. My favourite philosophers are also the most heavily judged within the circles I run in. Yet, I feel that these complex individuals gave immense beauty. They were also human and created pain, misunderstanding and oddness. But in the end, I wish to see the beauty and perhaps realize the oddness helped create that beauty. I wish to take the hope, healing, depth and emotion and have it propel me to kindness, boundaries, compassion, joy and belief in all that IS.

"Gazing through the window at the world outside.
Wondering will Mother Earth survive.
Hoping that mankind will stop abusing her, sometime.
After all there's only just the two of us.
And here we are still fighting for our lives.
Watching all of history repeat itself, time after time.
I'm just a dreamer, I dream my life away.
I'm just a dreamer, who dreams of better days.
I watch the sun go down like everyone of us.
I'm hoping that the dawn will bring a sign.
A better place for those who will come after us, this time.
I'm just a dreamer, I dream my life away. (oh yeah)
I'm just a dreamer, who dreams of better days.
Your higher power maybe God or Jesus Christ.
It doesn't really matter much to me.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us.
I'm living in a dream of fantasy, oh yeah yeah yeah!
If only we could all just find serenity.
It would be nice if we could live as one.
When will all this anger, hate and bigotry be gone?
I'm just a dreamer, I dream my life away. (today)
I'm just a dreamer, who dreams of better days. (ok)
I'm just a dreamer, who's searching for the way. (today)
I'm just a dreamer, dreaming my life away. (oh yeah yeah yeah)"
The only answers I have are to savour the life I live and hope that we can all find little pockets of serenity. And maybe, just maybe, if we all concentrate on our own beauty, which is often far more challenging then concentrating on other's issues, we can actually activate change in the larger world? Making the tougher, small changes in our own lives often takes more bravery then speaking out on other's. However, it is important to also throw challenges into the world too. As long as we remember to do BOTH the inner work and the outer work, because "without each other's help there ain't no hope for us." We will always be "watching all of history repeat itself time after time," yet maybe each time, with our individual lives out into the collective, we can slowly make a better place for those who come after us?
 Or maybe I am just a dreamer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words!!! xoxo- G

Kmarie A. said...

Thank you 😊 😍😘