Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Gluten Free * EASY* Gingerbread/ Cream Cheese Mud Cake (with Oat Flour) Made with Coconut sugar and Honey instead of Processed Sugar

I have had the toughest time finding cakes without complicated flours that are gluten free that have good textures. I adapted this cake and it was a raging success! We try to stay away from milks but use cream when necessary (you can research the effects of milk, the benefits of whole milks and creams and full fats, and alternative almond or coconut milks.) We are also gluten and processed sugars and preservative free...this IS very RICH and a small morsel does the trick, but for a special birthday or once a year treat it is a DELIGHT! As you can see, my eager family dug in with their five forks...we are a tad informal...it was a savoury moment of enjoyment:)
*** Please see note at bottom of page about Gluten free Cooking/ Baking.

 CHOCOLATE Gluten Free GINGERBREAD Mud CAKE Cake adapted from Martha Stewart:

 *1/2 cup (120ml) coconut oil
*1/2 cup (156g) molasses
*3/4 cup (150g) coconut sugar
 *1/4 cup of water
 *2 large eggs
*1/4 cup (60ml) half and half cream
*1 cup (125g) ground up gluten free oats or Oat flour
*1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder (use a top brand)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
*2 teaspoons ground ginger
*2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
*1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


 CREAM CHEESE FROSTING BY © SALLYS BAKING ADDICTION ( with ADAPTATIONS BY ME)

*1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
*1/2 cup of (4 oz (112g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
*1/2 cup of honey
*2 Tablespoons of half/half cream
*1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1 teaspoon of Cinnamon *chocolate (dark) for drizzling (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325F. Coat a 9-inch bundt pan or round pan with coconut oil and dust with cocoa powder and tap out excess. Set aside.
*Over medium-low heat, melt together the  coconut oil, molasses, coconut sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan until all of the coconut sugar has mostly dissolved (only a couple minutes). Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
 *Whisk the eggs and cream into the molasses mixture after it has cooled (to avoid heating and scrambling the eggs). Set aside.
*Sift together oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Gently fold the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until just combined. There will be lumps remaining. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 30- 40 minutes until cake is pulling away from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
*As the cake cools, make your frosting.
*The butter and cream being room temperature is KEY. In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until creamy. Add honey, vanilla and the cream,  until you've reached the desired thickness. I like to add a few sprinkles of cinnamon to this as well. Add a little more honey if necessary to achieve a spreadable frosting. Frost cake immediately before serving and drizzle with chocolate sauce (optional). Eat warm and refrigerate right away. SAVOUR!
*Note: My cake always falls apart because of the lack of gluten...but I pile it on to a plate, smooth the top and just pour the cream cheese mixture generously over the top and pour a bit of chocolate on top and it's an informal mud cake. My kids and I LOVE it.
Cake remains fresh for up to 4 days stored in the refrigerator.


*** I have researched many different diets. Our family was very sick dealing with different symptoms and many doctors could not figure it out. Finally we went to a Naturopath and my therapist suggested cutting out processed foods, sugar and gluten for two years to heal our guts. I also have possible celiac but cancelled my Gastroscopy as I was 8 months off gluten and doing so well I did not want to eat some beforehand. I eat according to a Celiac diet because so many symptoms I was hospitalized for in serious pain went away after about four months. NOTE: Some Celiacs can not have gluten free oats. I run into problems if it is not gluten free but I find I can process oats ok if I keep it minimal. The gluten free diet has gotten a lot of flack lately and I agree with many points on this...many on gluten free diets eat MORE sugar, MORE processed foods and MORE gluten alternatives that are not healthy for the body. We are careful to limit our rice products to twice a week, rinse well and only eat Basmati rice because of Arsenic levels. We substitute a small amount of honey for sugar and we only eat veggies, fruit, meats and my occasional baking with rice, potatoes and a variety of seeds, beets, fermented foods, high fat butters and organic Greek yogurt, granola and natural products. We also make sure we take a good supplement and drink plenty. A gluten free diet is NOT the only way to go and it does NOT cure Autism. In fact, we found cutting out sugar helped us with sensory overload the most, but it HAS cut down inflammation issues and other serious health concerns. Plus, for two years, if you have chronic pain, a diet similar to ours can help heal the gut and inflammation so you can slowly add things back in. But that does not mean you can't enjoy an occasional treat like above. Life is also enjoyed. I have enjoyed my food so much more since I adjusted to this diet. I can honestly say I do not miss my old foods and purely enjoy the treats when I can have them. We only drink water, club soda, pure home made blueberry juice and tea. Check out Gut Psychology in your search engine for more. I have adapted the Celiac diet with Gut psychology, the High Nourishing diet, Weston Price, and Paleo.
A fun version for you while you bake:) May your days be merry and bright.

2 comments:

L said...

This was delicious! Thanks for sharing

Kmarie Audrey said...

Yea it was a hit. My grandpa especially loved it which I found amusing:)