Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kmarie' s "Healthy" Cookies- For those who Need a Bit more in their Cookie:)

(They do not actually look like this- they are more crumbly and darker...and full of seeds...)

We are now on a gluten, dairy, nut, and white sugar free diet but it's spring, and I wanted a former "healthy" indulgence. I made these up a few years ago and thought I would share them here.  I love these cookies and my family begs for me to make them, so I thought I should share them with the world. They are a bit crumbly and melt in the mouth but so yummers! My family loves them and they are packed with healthy goodness. (I copied the measurements of normal flour and salt and baking powder from an old recipe but figured out the rest.) Coconut oil and honey are good for you in small amounts and add to your digestive process...the only bad sugar is chocolate chips but I use dark chocolate chips or Carob.  Not only does it have no MSG like boxed cookies but it has loads of healthy fats and healthy oils... a guilt free snack that keeps your bowel clean (Isn't that enticing!)

Instructions:
Grind your flax and rolled oats...add all dry ingredients mix and add seeds, raisins and choc chips. Set aside.
Mix butter until fluffy, add the rest of wet ingredients. Add dry mix in two parts. Mix well enough...may need to finish it by hand. Drop on cookie sheet (greased with coconut oil or spray) by teaspoonful. 350 degrees. 8- 12 minutes depending on oven. Enjoy! Consistency varies on what ingredients you choose to use. I would not recommend coconut flour method unless you have to- it doesn't taste very good (grainy). I hear gluten free oat flour works better with no other adjustments in recipe... I haven't tried it yet. 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup rolled oats ground (in coffee grinder-* if using coconut flour add another 1/3 cup of ground rolled oats)
1 cup of whole wheat flour or Unbleached flour or Coconut flour (*If you are using Coconut flour please seeTHISand adjust accordingly- so 6 eggs...which seems crazy but it works.)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt or normal salt
2 tablespoons of cinnamon (*We love cinnamon but this can be less or more. I usually add more- check out HERE why Cinnamon is amazing. The cinnamon is crucial to the taste with the oats so add at least a teaspoon if you are not a cinnamon fan.)
1/4 cup butter softened (If non dairy substitute with more coconut oil or THESE ideas but if you can use butter it makes the recipe taste better.)
1/4 cup coconut oil (Don't soften. Can just be scooped up with the measurement from container.)
1/3- 1/4 cup honey (* If using coconut flour add another 1/3 of honey)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup of ground flax
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of  DARK chocolate chips ( no dairy) or Carob chips


*This song really has nothing to do with this post but it makes me happy...just like the recipe above. It makes me smile, and that is always worth sharing:)

2 comments:

S said...

Thanks for the recipe! will ask my mom to bake them next time I go home as she does an amazing job at baking..
Choco chip cookies are my favorite and I eat them with milk tea quite frequently.

Kmarie Jones said...

Let me know if you like it...if you can use real flour and the original recipe...I miss chocolate chip cookies so much already! LOL:) I also left some comments to you on the safe place:)
Love