Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Symptoms of Inner Peace from Sarah Susanka



The SYMPTOMS OF INNER PEACE- Author Unknown. Found in "The Not so Big Life" by Sarah Susanka;
"1- A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than act in response to fears based on past experiences.
2-An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
3-A loss of interest in judging people.
4-A loss of interest in judging oneself.
5- A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
6-A loss of interest in conflict.
7-A loss of the ability to worry ( a very serious symptom)
8-Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
9-Contented feelings of connectedness with others and with nature.
10- Frequent attacks of smiling.
11- An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
12-An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it."

Peace is a state of mind and a state of being. It's also elusive at times. Don't feel too much guilt if this list is not exactly met by you.  "As you read this, you may be recalling that first event in your life when you were aware of loosing trust- in an adult in a friend, in your circumstances. These things happen to everyone. It's inevitable, part of being alive. But those events aren't who you are...you are still who you were before those events. You simply received a shock that changed your experiencing of life. But it also fuelled your growth, allowing you to become who you are now. We are so used to thinking of things in terms of right and wrong, good and bad, that it's hard to fully appreciate that your experiences don't define you. You are much, much more than their sum. Those experiences are nothing more than what happened in a past scene in your movie. They are memories, and so be definition they are not here and now. When you can truly see this, you can begin to reconnect with your original self, the belief that no matter what happens you are always supported; you are never abandoned. And the way you know this is that you are still here now, still experiencing life, and still aware. That awareness never goes away- at least not while you are awake,"- Sarah Susanka (Emphasis mine* pg 196 Of the Not so Big Life.)

Lately, I have lost trust in people and circumstances...it was inevitable. It has been a journey to find steady ground again. The above quote by Sarah Susanka (home designer- check out my library for resource links) encouraged me to not take this season in my life as a marker of who I am. I have experienced several shocks to the system. I have yet to see the growth that is going to come out of it, but judging by past experiences, eventually there WILL be growth. My movie has yet to finish. Better yet, my life can not be captured by a film...it is better and worse. 

Once again I am hoping to reconnect to my former self. I hope to find my inner peace again. Until I do, I hope that I will be gentle with failure. It's important to give grace to the parts of the journey that are messy. It's what I would want a friend to do. So perhaps I need to apply that knowledge to myself?

*IF you liked this post I would HIGHLY recommend this one: http://worldwecreate.blogspot.ca/2013/03/suggestions-to-meet-desperate-or.html

5 comments:

Nyssa said...

gentle with failure.. yes, me too xxo i have none of the symptoms of peace these days. I hope you find your inner peace again soon too.
xoox

Amy said...

Goodmorning, darling!

Love love this list... I long to walk inside peace so very much, as you do, K. Thinking of you so much these past days... love and peace to your heart.

P.S. Have you ever heard of Wayne Dyer? I have read just about all of his books lately... I felt so drawn to him, and for good good reason.. he has quite the world view. Sacred Self and Power of Intention are two of my favorites. He also wrote one on all of his favorite poets and writers...oh what is that one called?? Hmm.... Wisdom of the Ages. Oh man that one was so good too! I listen to a lot of audiobooks.. I find that living in the wild, I have to daily encourage myself. Be it through books, a life conversation with a friend/my sister, podcast, stillness... I just have to.

K, I feel like you are in a shift in your life right now. And tho it isn't at all what you thought it would be, and the people you thought you could count on, you have found that you cannot... I truly see these times of crisis, as difficult and painful as they can be, HUGE shifting points in our lives. Press through, lovie.. continue to speak kindly to yourself as you would speak to a friend going through the same thing. You are so magnificent, and perfectly you, just as the Divine intended you to be. Love you so much! Always here if you need to talk.

xoxoxo

Amy said...

K.. just wanted to tell you something that came to my spirit just a few minutes ago while I was resting. (we have been sickie over here)... I saw you arising from ashes as a Phoenix. Glorious and new...strong and beautiful. K the Phoenix :) Just had to come here and tell you!

xoxo

Kmarie Jones said...

Nyssa;I also wish inner peace for you friend;)
Amy; profound and encouraging insights. That image of the pheonix gave me fortitude all day yesterday. I read your comment over and over and I hope it comes to be. Thank you for sharing the encouragement. Love you and thinking of you in your upcoming transition too.

Cat said...

"It's important to give grace to the parts of the journey that are messy"

this is so true my friend
I am sorry that I missed this post last week but I am here for you sister and know you will find your way back to you....I have been where you are

I love Amy's vision of you
so beautiful and true...hold on to the vision friend...hold on

love and light